MILESTONE PROJECTS


PAPERCRAFT OBJECTS: FINAL REVISION


I was excited to see how something that I created on a laptop come into real life. I soon realized that this project was going to be a lot of work with a lot of hours spent on it. I didn't mind but as I was doing work, I realized that there is a lot of elements wrong with my template. when I first printed off my project, I realized that I needed to scale it up much larger. which also meant that I had to chop up certain pieces as they had to go on their own page because of their size.

I was very behind with this project because of all the hiccups I had so I really do appreciate the flexibility of the as I am in due dates. 




                       
             






 







HYBRID HOLLOW FORM








An issue GJ and I had
We wanted to move forward with the triangle piece but discovered that there were many flaws in the design. The triangle was not truly printer-friendly. Unfortunately with our time crunch, we realize that we had to move forward by abandoning the triangle piece.

we selected Gjs spiral piece.
This is where we started running into problems, GJs computer has twice as much RAM as my computer and the files he sent me would always crash. Making it almost impossible for me to work in. we also discovered that stl. Files were not something you could manipulate the forms and work in rhino with.

Working with these hurdles we created this design.

The base tubes having the same concept idea as the triangle main form. the top spiral piece coming from the concepts that GJ made.




We had trouble Boolean uniting the whole shape together and found once we put it into slicer that the ridges on the side of the tubes were too detailed for the printer and became that this design was not printer friendly either. Also at this point, I tried to find ways to reduce the mesh on the form to make the file smaller but because of how the form was built it was impossible to. We even tried throwing it in to mesh mixer and combining it into a solid shape as well as reducing the mesh, but it would always manipulate the form in ways that we did not want. The mesh size is so large I couldn't render it.

So we started from scratch, keeping in mind the original ideas that we had and created this piece.


We got rid of the ridges on the sides as well as created the tubes by using an Octagon shape. We found that the centre created this unique star shape in the middle of the form. We used the star shape by shooting it up and spiralling, then coming to a point. unfortunately, we realized that the base had a lot of problems when you put it into the slicer certain parts of the base would completely go missing. as well as the object did not have a proper base to sit on.

We ended up changing the base design to this.






overall this project was really hard and it highlighted how much I need to work on my communication skills.






3D Model of my Roomba


 

  

I decided to 3D model my Roomba after the documentary


I placed the Roomba on my desk and slowly designed each face of my circular Slave robot.  

 


    Overall, this project made me appreciate the sleek design of the Roomba even though it can frustrate me sometimes being stuck in a corner in my house. I slowly worked on each piece of this by working on the top and then the bottom I had trouble learning how to use the viewpoint which causes me to have vertical.

iRobot 

Roomba 800  


the top





 the side 
the bottom 




  


mash-up


For this mash-up, I imported my previous Frog Clicker model from Meshmixer and began to work on it within Rhino 6. I was very frustrated working in rhino at the beginning since I am more comfortable working in 2 dimensions like in Illustrator. So, there were a lot of growing pains working with 3D planesAnother problem I had was having to go back into Meshmixer to divide up certain pieces of the figure like the eyes.  

On the other hand, it was so much fun being able to render into “photo-realistic” views. The materials alone made quite a drastic impact on the final product. I added a plastic material to the frog and realized that the plastic made the frog look slimy. For the fly, I added a glass material to the eyes and wings.  

 

I decided to only add one spotlight into my rendering to make the image look like it was outside so there would be only one shadow. I also had a gradient of green to brown to illustrate a grassy dirt ground










Comments

Popular Posts